If you’re a new seller, then it’s possible you are prepping your products yourself to be sent out to Amazon FBA warehouses.
This works fine, for a while, but when you want to scale you’ll quickly start to notice the inefficiencies of a do-it-yourself approach when it comes to such a big logistical part of your business.
If you’ve come to the conclusion that packing your own products to be sent to Amazon is no longer practical, it’s getting too expensive, or you want to free up your energy to put toward other parts of the business, it’s time to look into Third Party Logistics (3PL) and/or Amazon FBA Prep Services.
Want to know the difference between the two? We have a post going over the differences, but in summary 3PL and Amazon FBA Prep Services will fulfill the same duty in the scope of your business, and that is to prep your products to be sent to Amazon FBA warehouses so that they can be sold and sent to customers.
Benefits of using a 3PL / Amazon FBA Prep Service
- Done right, a 3PL will actually save you money over time running your business, especially as you scale
- One less thing for you to manage yourself so you can focus on your business
- Can make your business more efficient by optimizing Port > 3PL > Amazon Warehouse distance
Not the longest list of benefits, but they are powerful ones.
When running a business, your energy and time are finite resources, so offloading a task such as product prep for Amazon is a huge benefit.
Finding a 3PL For Your Business
Finding a 3PL or Amazon FBA Prep Service is actually not very easy.
If you know other Amazon Sellers, I’d highly recommend getting a 3PL through a recommendation/referral, as there a lot of 3PL companies that don’t advertise or market their services.
If you’re forced to go out into the market, the best thing you can do is find 3PL companies that are as close to your preferred port and Amazon warehouse for an efficient logistics line into Amazon.
After you’ve gathered a list of potential 3PL companies and Amazon FBA Prep Services, you have to vet them all hard.
Compare their pricing sheets, see how quickly they respond to your emails and questions, and check their locations. Those main metrics will help you find the best 3PL for your business.
Summary: Why You Should Use A 3PL and How to Get One
- Using a 3PL allows you to have more time to actually run your business than dealing with logistics
- 3PL companies are so vital to running an Amazon FBA business they’ll actually save you money and time in the long run
- Pick a 3PL based on responsiveness, pricing, and proximity to your preferred port and Amazon Warehouse