Verifying Your Business FAQ

Before Onramp can send you your funds, we first need to verify your business. An Employer Identification Number (EIN) Document is the quickest way to complete this verification. 

Not sure what that is? Not a problem! The following FAQs will provide more information about the EIN Document(s) we accept, where to find them, and how to complete your business verification. If you get stuck at any point, we're here to help!

An Employer Identification Number (EIN) is assigned to your business by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). The EIN identifies your business with the IRS the same way a Social Security Number identifies a person. The number is most commonly used for reporting taxes.

An EIN is 2 digits followed by a hyphen and then 7 more digits (ex: 12-3456789). You might see your EIN Number referred to in many different ways, including:

  • EIN Number
  • Employer Identification Number
  • Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN)
  • Federal Tax ID Numbers
  • Texas Federal Tax ID Number
  • Federal Tax Identification Number

An Employer Identification Number (EIN) is used by several different government agencies to identify your business. An EIN is the quickest verification of your business as it’s a requirement for the following purposes: 

  • File federal, state, and local tax returns
  • File income tax
  • Open a business bank account 
  • Obtain business advances, lines of credit, and loans 
  • Apply for a business credit card
  • Apply for business licenses or permits

To verify your business ownership, we need at least one of the following documents that clearly states your EIN and Business Name. 

Regardless of your state, these two documents will always verify your business:

  • EIN Confirmation Letter (IRS-issued CP575)
  • EIN Verification Letter (IRS-issued 147c)

Depending on your state, you can also check to see if the EIN and business name are listed on these documents:

  • Sales Tax/Use License
  • Fictitious name statement
  • Business License

If you have any issues finding these documents, we're here to help!

You can apply for an EIN through the online application or mail/fax in your SS-4 Application. If you’re a US Citizen, we recommend applying for your EIN online to immediately receive your EIN Confirmation Letter (CP 575). If you are a Non-US resident, you’ll have to mail or fax Form SS-4 to the IRS.

  • If you apply for an EIN online
    • You can download a PDF copy of your EIN Confirmation Letter at the end of the online application. There is no waiting time!
    • The IRS will also send you a duplicate copy in the mail in about 4 to 5 weeks.
  • If you send Form SS-4 by fax - Form SS-4 Download & Instructions
    • The IRS will fax you back your EIN Confirmation Letter within 4 to 7 business days.
    • Fax: 855-641-6935
  • If you send Form SS-4 by mail - Form SS-4 Download & Instructions
    • The IRS will mail your EIN Confirmation Letter within 4 to 5 weeks.
    • Address: EIN Operation, Cincinnati, OH 45999
    • Already applied? Call 800-829-4933 to ask about the status of your existing application.

Once the IRS issues an EIN for your business, you will receive your official approval, known as an EIN Confirmation Letter (CP 575). Please upload this letter in Onramp, so we can complete your business verification and send you your cash!

The state and industry you are registered with will determine the licenses and permits required for your business. Any of these official business licenses satisfy your EIN Document requirement. Note: Each state has different business license requirements. 

Here is a state-by-state guide to Business Licenses:

If you have already obtained your required Business License(s), please upload these in Onramp so, that we can complete your business verification and send you your cash!

If you can’t find your EIN Letter or Business License, that’s not a problem. There are two other documents you can use to verify your business: 

  1. Sales/Use Tax License

    If you sell products online in a state that collects sales tax, your business should have already obtained a Sales/Use Tax License. This will provide the authorization to collect sales tax on purchases within that jurisdiction. 

    If not, you can apply through your registered state’s Tax and Fee Administration. Check here to see if your state has sales tax:

    The requirements for a Sales/Use Tax License will differ from state to state depending on if you are in a state that collects sales tax.

  2. Fictitious Name Statement

    A fictitious name is a business name other than the legal entity name you’ve received legal approval to use. The fictitious name can be a Doing Business As (DBA), Assumed name, or Trade name.

    If you are using a fictitious name, then you should have filed a  Fictitious Name statement to help identify who owns the company. 

Both the Sales/Use Tax License and Fictitious Name Statement can be used to verify your business. If you already have one (or both) of these documents then please upload them in Onramp so that we can get you your cash! 

The IRS will only send your EIN Confirmation Letter (CP575) one time, at the time of your application. If you misplace your original copy and do not have another copy, do not panic!  

You can get an EIN Verification Letter by calling the IRS at 1-800-829-4933. Once you get them on the phone, you will ask for an EIN Verification Letter (147C). Note, you must be the owner of the LLC to retrieve this document from the IRS.

The IRS should then be able to mail or fax your EIN Verification Letter (147C). 

  • If you choose to have your 147C Letter sent to you by mail it can take 4-6 weeks for it to arrive. Note, the IRS will mail your 147C Letter to the mailing address they have on file for your LLC. You can confirm this address when you’re on the phone with them.
  • If you choose to have your 147C Letter sent to by fax, the IRS will immediately fax this to you while you’re on the phone. Don't have a fax? You can use this free online service:

Once you get your EIN Confirmation Letter (147C) please upload this in Onramp, to complete your business verification. 

Need help? We're here for you! Please email us at or give us a call at 855.232.8515