Head of Underwriting
Onramp's seeking a savvy Head of Underwriting to join our rapidly growing team. Traditional lending is outdated and behind the times for eCommerce sellers; Onramp is changing that.
Onramp is a rapidly growing startup founded by eCommerce veterans who know how to build a business from the ground up. Based in Austin, Texas, we are looking for a savvy Head of Underwriting to join our rapidly growing team.
This is not your typical underwriting role. This person will drive Onramp's underwriting decision-making at a critical phase in the growth of the business, help support the product roadmap for underwriting, partner closely with sales, and be a catalyst in building the company. This powerful combination makes for an exciting day!
Are you an architect or a builder? At Onramp, you will be both. We challenge, expect extraordinary outcomes and are not afraid of being uncomfortable. We have a growth mindset and are willing to take risks. If you are not afraid to roll up your sleeves, want to build a company, have a voice, and have a blast along the way, Onramp could be for you!
Who You Are
We are looking for a problem solver. A communicator. A team player. An obsessive personality that focuses on the small things, a winner who is not afraid to take chances. The ideal candidate is data-driven and attentive to detail, driving quality underwriting decisions while continually refining underwriting processes to improve outcomes.
You've worked on small and midsize business underwriting. You know that underwriting is more than just checklists and loan packages: it's about understanding the customer and finding what terms work for their unique situation. You know how to multitask while maintaining attention to detail and are as comfortable in Excel as you are on the phone. You enjoy not only the nitty-gritty details of cash flow analysis but also working across the company to drive improvements in decision criteria and processes, reducing risk, growing volume, and improving time-to-close.
What You Will Do
Drive excellent underwriting decisions
- Evaluate approve/decline decisions and borrowing terms for new applicants by analyzing revenue, cash flows, collateral quality, and credit profiles
- Assess the performance of existing customers and make recommendations for updated terms on subsequent financing agreements
- Contact applicants to gain insights into their business or request documents, as needed
- Provide written summaries of decisions, key risk criteria, and reasoning for all underwriting decisions
- Communicate underwriting decisions and rationale to sales and provide training on underwriting policies and procedures
Improve the underwriting process
- Evaluate and drive improvements to existing underwriting criteria and processes
Identify new underwriting criteria and approaches
- Partner with the product team to increase automation for underwriting and improve data quality
- Document underwriting guidelines and key decision metrics
Develop underwriting reports to support the onboarding of new customers
- Train account management team on Onramp's application-driven automated underwriting capabilities
- Coordinate with the account management team on underwriting decisions requiring additional risk assessment
Manage and Assess Risk
- Optimize lending criteria across the portfolio to achieve target delinquency and default rates
- Assess data feeds, underwriting processes, and 3rd party tools to enhance per event and portfolio risk analysis capabilities
- Working with the product team, incorporate underwriting and risk analysis toolsets in Onramp's automated underwriting application environment to accelerate customer and financing acquisition
- Ensure compliance with state and federal B2B financing regulations
- Track funding performance and cash receipts to ensure funding repayments per underwriting expectations
- Provide weekly and monthly KPI reports
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in a quantitative field
- 7+ years experience in commercial underwriting, preferably with exposure to eCommerce
- Ability to work across several departments, including sales, account management, operations, and product
- Experience working with a wide variety of underwriting data sources, including LexisNexis, credit bureau data, and banking transaction data
- Skilled in managing multiple tasks and maintaining strong attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Superior analytical skills
- Support your teammates and play for each other
- Willingness to challenge and be challenged
- We thrive in the uncomfort zone
- Fail early and often with a growth mindset; vulnerability and accountability are our strengths.
- We do our best work
- We play fast and sweat together
- We embrace fun and celebrate breakthroughs
- Aggressive Stock Option Grant
- Health, dental, and vision Insurance
- Flexible work environment
- Opportunity to build a business from the ground up
- A place where your opinions matter - they shape the business
- A collaborative, team environment where you are part of a family
- A commitment to both personal and professional development
- Leadership who lives in the trenches
- Generous PTO
- Volunteer Days
- Snacks and Drinks
- Happy Hours